Calligram Project





When starting off brainstorming ideas of what I wanted to construct for my Calligram, I realized I wanted to do something meaningful that connected to my creative process as an Artist.  Many different artists and illustrators have different ways of setting their mind to their goal and I personally have always relied on the appearance of music to set my mind to the right mental state so I can be productive.  One of my favorite artists and musicians is “Meek Mill” who is an up an coming rapper from Philadelphia who was made an extremely successful career by telling his life story through music.  He sings about the challenges and struggles that a young man faces growing up in the trenches of a rough area and how he has turned his career into a dream while connecting with his audience on a truly deep level.  I decided to use this project as an experience to bring the viewer of my work to the understanding that you may simply just be looking at an image from the look of an eye, but there is a deeper meaning and deeper story to every road of turmoil.  This project was extremely challenging for me as it took me over eight hours for me to produce the project I was looking for and the only way I could constantly keep my mentality in a working setting was by listening to this artist motivate me and keep me in check.  I based my project off the album cover Dream Chasers 4 and I envisioned my project to be filled with my favorite lyrics from the album fulfilling the areas I sketched out through Adobe Illustrator.  After much difficulty throughout my work ethic, I was able to incorporate a series of lyrics throughout the face of the character on the cover of the album.  The most important message that I want to be taken away from this project is that it is clear that every single individual has something that drives them, that pushes them, and I want this piece to be shown in a light that you should never let anyone take that away from you.  Whether its your motivator, your influencer, or your reason to work, you should always work through the rough patches that you face with your biggest asset, and for me personally that asset is having the presence of a musical drive to keep me focused. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Portrait Assignment

Autoscopy

Somewhere