Self Portrait Assignment


For my Self Portrait Project, the project was inspired by a picture that you were supposed to take of yourself and transform it into the application Adobe Illustrator.  From the start of the project, I was deciding what angle was the most appropriate to fit the message that I was attempting to convey in this assignment.  I attempted various different angles from crossing my arms, to serious emotion, even attempting to go after a joking emotion with me laughing in the picture.  Through the assignment directions, the class was encouraged to base our project after a propaganda poster and make our own version out of the specific poster that would give off our own spin.  I looked at various propaganda posters that and I decided to go with an Uncle Sam Army recruiting poster. 
The Poster was a picture of Uncle Sam pointing at the eye of the viewer with the message, “I want YOU for the U.S. Army.”  I then chose to take a picture of me in a similar position up against a white wall pointing at the eye of the Camera.  I was eager to choose a similar message that would align with a current trend going around our country right now.  With the viral epidemic, the Covid-19 virus, not only affecting our school from staying out of in person classes, the virus is affecting our country nationwide from normal safety hazards.  With the virus being so serious around the country, many hygiene products are sold out at convenient stores which is causing a huge problem for our country. 
One of the main products that is specifically hard to find around the country is toilet paper because many people are buying the products to prepare for the worse.  I chose my message in my assignment to be, “I want YOUR toilet paper.”  I believe this takes the typical propaganda poster that inspired me to do this assignment and gives it a comical spin to my message. 

Comments

  1. Feedback:
    1. Two compliments about the work

    -I really like the irony in this propaganda. It has the serious Uncle Sam theme with a little comedic aspect in the typeface "I WANT YOUR TOILET PAPER".
    -The piece is very visually appealing in its symmetry. The spacing and sizing fits very well from the flag stripes to the stars to the figure in the center.

    2. Two suggestions about the work

    -Maybe add more to the figure to show their side on the issue. A simple American flag pin on his shirt could work.
    -Did you consider doing any gradient for the face?

    Examples:
    I would like to know more about…
    I think you could improve....
    I am not sure what this means....
    I would like to know more details about....

    3. Any other ideas or comments

    -Really cool concept. Well thought out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake,

      For your question regarding adding gradient to the face of my character- I did consider using a gradient for the face aspect of my character but then I decided the original color for the face I had best captured the look and position I was attempting to convey.

      Delete
  2. Logan, I think this project really resembles you and does have the same idea as the Uncle Sam poster. I think it's funny that you made your slogan "I want your toilet paper" cause god only knows why people began to hoard that. One thing I would have done to improve this would be to add some folds in the sweatshirt to give it some shape cause right now it looks like a white blob. Regardless you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logan, I can really see your desire for this cause through your work. The outline of your body blends with the lines of the flag very well. The way the text also is contained within the same outline gives the piece a consistency that it benefits from. My only suggestion would be to expand the left side of the text because it feels a tad squished over there. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autoscopy

Somewhere